Search

On The Hunt

A blog about autism, life and the single mom

Tag

laundry room

Baseboards finally stained and up

So, I originally cut all the baseboards to size, but hadn’t gotten around to staining it or putting it up around my laundry room. However, the recent much needed rain storm currently making its way through northern California put a damper on my plans this weekend, which freed me up to catch up on household chores and of course, finally stain the baseboard for my laundry room

I used my miter box and saw to cut the baseboard down to size, before taking the pieces out to my covered patio to stain. I like water-based stains, like Minwax Color Express because they don’t have an odor for days after you finish staining the project and move it inside, and they dry quick. I used mahogany and a sponge craft brush to apply the stain.

Once it was applied, I waited about 30 minutes for it to dry and then brought them inside and used finished nails to attach them to the wall. The whole project took about 3 hours from start to finish, and looks amazing. After I add the finishing touches, like a new light, I’ll post picture of the finished laundry room.

photo 4 photo 1 photo 2 photo 3

What a difference paint makes

Over the course of the past week my laundry room has slowly started to take shape, and I’m so excited!

I finally finished painting all the walls – that took about 4 days. Mostly because I decided to take a few breaks, but also because I had to do a lot of prep work to the walls before I could actually paint. Like repair the plaster after taking off previous baseboard, and then caulking around the floor and baseboard along the wall the window sits on. After discovering the type of nails used to attach it, I decided to take down only what was necessary for my project, which was most of it, but not the wall with the window. Why? Because once everything goes in, no one will notice it.

I didn’t realize how dark flat paint makes a room, even one painted a light neutral color, until I finished painting my laundry room in semi-gloss paint. And while the color is “Pretty Orchid”, which is like a pinky purple color, the laundry room is noticeably brighter! You can’t really tell in the photos, but trust me, the room is cheerful and bright!

After I got the floor, windows and baseboard sealed with new caulking, and finished painting the room, I added the new. slimmer baseboard, which I have pictures of. Then I put the washer and dryer back in their respective locations.

Today was the Super Bowl, but that didn’t stop me from measuring and cutting out the rest of the baseboard that I will stain mahogany tomorrow, and then attach. After the very one sided football game, I came home and attached “L” brackets to the desk, so I can also place that in the laundry room tomorrow too.

I was really expecting this makeover to take longer, but I feel like I’ll have it compete by the end of February.

I’ve included photos of the paint transformation. Tomorrow I’ll write a post about staining and attaching the baseboards, as well as how I fixed the desk.

photo 5 photo 1 photo 2 photo 3 photo 4 photo 5 photo 1 photo 2 photo 3 photo 4 photo(4)

Laundry room makeover: Part 2

Well, today was the second day of working on my laundry room. It was also the second time I went to Lowe’s in as many days, and I’ll be back there tomorrow because I ran out of the spackle I was using to repair the plaster.

One of the things I’ve noticed when doing projects around my house is that there is the original work of the builders from 1957 when the house was constructed, and then there are the additions from people over the years, who didn’t always know what they were doing. And it was one of these well intentioned renovators who is making my current project more interesting.

I’m not sure how many of my readers out there have actually added base moulding to a room, but one typically uses finish nails. Those nails are small and easy to conceal. Those are not the nails that were used to install the base moulding in my laundry room, however.

Is everyone familiar with the nails used to build a fence? Well those large nails are what the industrious people used to attach the base board in the laundry room. Let me tell you, even carefully using a pry bar didn’t help mitigate the damage. Before I went over to my parent’s house to get the pry, I tried using a flat head screw driver and even a mason chisel.

The chisel worked on removing the moulding along one side of the door frame where they had attached the sliding door so that it wouldn’t crash into the light switch. After that it was pretty ineffective. So, I thought I’d head over to Lowe’s to buy the new smaller moulding, get a sample of the paint color for the walls, and some touch up white for the moulding. I was also going to get a pry bar, but forgot. Luckily, I went to my parent’s house for dinner and was able to get one from them.

Once I got home, I went to work on the moulding, and cleaning up the disgusting mess under both the washing machine and dryer. Then this morning, I used a sanding block – which was going too slow, so I pulled out the mouse sander – to help smooth the rough patches to make it easier to do plaster repair.

Then this morning, I finished cleaning up all the dust and wiping down the walls where I sanded to remove any excess dust. I started spackling the area by the door frame and the bottom part of the wall, but sadly, I ran out. So, tomorrow I will be running out to Lowe’s again to get more spackle, and will have the help of my friend Kyle. He will be assisting me in repairing the plaster, staining the new base board mahogany, and taping off the room to be painted “Pretty Orchid.”

Enjoy the photos of my work so far, and stay tuned for additional posts.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑